About Us

Blue

Our History

The History of First Baptist Church

In January of 1946, Loy T. Chandler Sr. had a vision of a church in Lithia Springs.  Calls were made and a meeting was set up for that very day.  All those contacted came and prayer meetings were set.  God continued to work rapidly with this group.  Glenn Florence agreed to donate land in downtown Lithia Springs and the building construction began.

On April 17, 1946, Rev. J. A. Patterson was called as the first pastor of First Baptist and he served until November, 1952.  Services were held in the Annette Winn School until the church basement was completed.  After completion, the first sanctuary was dedicated on October 23, 1949, but was destroyed by fire just five days later on October 28, 1949.  Not to be deterred, the church once again met at the school and in various homes while the building was being rebuilt.

Rev. Marion H. Beaver was called as our second pastor on May 6, 1953 and began his ministry 2 weeks later.  He served First Baptist and the community for more than 25 years.  He also received his doctorate during that time.  Dr. Beaver returned to First Baptist in January, 1988 as the Associate Pastor of Senior Adults, and his ministry continues today.

An educational building was completed in July, 1970.  In September, 1979, Rev. Robert L. Whitmire was called as pastor.  While serving First Baptist, he received his doctorate and led the church until February, 2005.  During that time, the church built a new sanctuary and activities center.

Mr. Chandler's vision, given by God, has grown through Godly leadership.  His vision continues today with the service of Mr. Chandler's daughter, Olivia Chandler Clark, and his grandson, Rev. Mike Sinyard, and through the faithful service of the members of First Baptist Church.